Texas Drift Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needing drift advice

3 posters

Go down

Needing drift advice Empty Needing drift advice

Post  FC3Sdrifter Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:51 pm

I just got a new car. Its a 1988 Mazda RX7 with a 13B N/A. Im needing advice on how to build it. Im needing to set it up for drifting, but also keep it street legal becuase it is also my daily driver. If anyone can give me any advice on this and how to do it on a budget.
FC3Sdrifter
FC3Sdrifter
Noob
Noob

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Needing drift advice Empty Re: Needing drift advice

Post  ZtheD Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 pm

all of us are on a budget, but i actually have a list of parts for the FC that would make a great drift car and still street legal. Some advice is, you dont need much power to get a RWD car to drift. I drift and touge my 90 miata and all i have is a header, high flow cat, 2.5 exhaust, an LSD, and a K&N air cone. I have maybe 115 BHP, yet I can get it to slide better then my Z32 that I used to have. It all depends on the skill that u have. But on a budget, to get started you need suspension (i.e. springs, shocks, struts, strut bar), LSD, and a manual transmission. Thats your basic "low budget" drift/street legal build. If your drifting, you want to work on suspension first, then performance. If you want that list that has everything from the ground up, PM me.
ZtheD
ZtheD
The Nissan Guru
The Nissan Guru

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-09-15

http://www.myspace.com/insane_blader

Back to top Go down

Post  FC3Sdrifter Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks for the help. I've been in the drift scene since 2004, but all I've ever built were 240s and 86s. The rotary is a whole new beast. My next questions would be; Are there any good dirft or touge spots in the Central Texas area? Are there any comps anytime soon?
FC3Sdrifter
FC3Sdrifter
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  ZtheD Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

where exactly? central texas is pretty big. For touge, I got to 3 places, they would be Lime Creek Road, Valente Road, and Lago Vista, Lime Creek and Valente are in cedar park, and Lago Vista is well... all of Lago. Drifting, if you want to pay a lot for a decent track then you should go to Harris Hill Road is San Marcos. It is a $2400 membership fee with a $90/month to keep membership. Or just wait til they have a track day kinda thing.

Not tryin to be rude or call you out, but if you have built 240's and 86's then you shoulda known about where to start for drifting, the only difference between the rotary and piston is that exactly, the internals, everything else is basically the same thing. Sorry if I am rude.

But if you need anymore help, I am on here everyday, and I am the "Soon-to-be" Admin. I went to UTI for automotive training so if you need and tech advice let me know.
ZtheD
ZtheD
The Nissan Guru
The Nissan Guru

Back to top Go down

Post  FC3Sdrifter Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:09 pm

I just didn't know if I had to do anything specific to the RX7 that was different. Plus I was always the driver and my friends did my mechanic work. Then in 2007 I joined the Marine Corps, so for two years I wasn't really around tuners or drifting. I started actually building cars last year, so thats why i don't have much knowledge on the subject.
FC3Sdrifter
FC3Sdrifter
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  ZtheD Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:16 pm

Ok, thanks for the explanation. But yea, if you need any help tuning, building, whatever... Let me know, I wont mind helpin.
ZtheD
ZtheD
The Nissan Guru
The Nissan Guru

Back to top Go down

Post  FC3Sdrifter Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:07 am

Thanks for the help. If I come across any promblems I'll let you know. The only mod i have done right now is a full bucket Corbeau seat that I pulled from my friends S14 before he sold it.
FC3Sdrifter
FC3Sdrifter
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  s14 Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:31 pm

best thing about rotaries is the weight, they're so light
s14
s14