Texas Drift Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turbo cheat. (Brake boost!)

Go down

Turbo cheat. (Brake boost!) Empty Turbo cheat. (Brake boost!)

Post  s14 Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Came off an srtforum

I get asked everytime i mention the subject and would first like to clarify a myth aswell as share some tips before you go out there trying this.

First i'll start with the myth, alot of people seem to think that brake boosting is extremely harmfull to your drivetrain/brakes.....if done improperly this can be true. On the same token think about it this way, there are dynos that can put more load on your drivetrain than brake boosting the car your self can. There are a few risks in brake boosting and the biggest one is blowing off your vacuum line system sooo please please make sure to zip tie any and all vaccum connections. The biggest scare is the brake booster line....you'll know its no longer attached when the brake pedal gets rather spoongy and not too responsive. So now onto brake boosting:

- ensure vacuum connections are all secured
- find a long deserted stretch of "private" road...like those found in mexico
- find a speed you are comfotable with say 40,50 or 60 mph. Now i will warn ALL of you that 2nd gear in an SRT4 translates to 10mph increments per 1000rpm on the tach so if you are wanting 40mph from 2nd you'll be at 4000rpm. I DONOT recommend any higher than 40mph in second as SRT4s are not rev happy cars. If you wish to try 45 or higher 3rd is your gear. If you have a modded stock turbo car, have big turbo and traction is way too limited in 2nd gear for 40mph then upshift to 3rd gear which will put you under 3000rpm and practice brake boosting from 3rd.
- while holding your right foot steady at the speed desired with your left foot lightly press the brake pedal. At the same time ensure that you arent slowing yourself down by gently applying more pressure on the gas pedal essentially balancing the effect of you left foot braking. You can now look over and see the car is building boost, try not to over do it because too much brake boost will cause either a charge pipe to blow off or your vacuum lines.
-once you reach desired boost level while holding your speed wait for your mark (if you are roll racing i guess that would be your 3rd beep or if you are practicing just give yourself 3 beeps then go)
- practice practice practice

Guys please be safe and im sure you'll find that roll racing while brake boosting will become far more interesting.

examples for those who dont understand:

you get challenged to 35-40mph roll but you are on very crappy tires, line up next to your opponent and be sure both parties are ready. While rolling at 5mph under the target speed setup your brake boost and be sure to allow a little more gas pedal than brake to get up to the desired speed. Once there hold the desired speed while brake boosting and if at any point you feel you maybe coming out with too much boost just back off the brake pedal slightly. This is a game of balancing your feet to get the desired effect. If done in 3rd gear from 35-45mph brake boosting will net you way more time to pull and less shifting.
s14
s14
Epic Fail
Epic Fail

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-09-14

http://www.myspace.com/bmwstrrcr

Back to top Go down