Texas Drift Stars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S14 Door won\'t open

3 posters

Go down

S14 Door won\'t open Empty S14 Door won't open

Post  reezn Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Passenger door wouldn't open from inside or outside, even with the key.
Wierd noise that sounded like whirling for a couple of seconds after using the unlock button.
Lock would not stay in the unlock position, it returns to lock position after a few seconds. It would make the noise and go back to half unlocked.

Dealer qouted $500 to fix. I fixed for nothing after opening door.

Took about 30 min to fix.

How I did it. I opened up the drivers side and used that as a reference.
On the passenger side, I rolled the window down. I then acted like I was working on the passenger door like normal although it was closed. I got as far as undoing the door handle plate behind the door handle, passenger switch and the three screws at the bottom of the door by maneuvering the seat around. I then pulled the door panel up and back towards inside of car as far as I could with the goal of removing the panel and not breaking it, the best I could manage was slightly pulling the top lip of the panel that tucks behind the door; flush with the door. This let some light behind the door panel and enough room to work in. I couldn't tell whether the rod clips where broken or not, but I determined that I could over ride all the rods and clips by manually moving the parts that attached to the latch and opened the door. I pulled on the door lock to ensure the door stayed unlocked with a slim jim and pushed a metal tab with a socket holder (custom tool). The tool is just a socket holder. You can use any metal, but I made the one pictured by removing all the tabs that hold the sockets in place and bending one end. Turns out a clip at the end of the rod that pushes the metal tab that opens the door had fallen off. I placed the clip and the door worked normal again. You may have another problem look closely at the door, check the clips and all components by using the driver side as a reference.

Window amp
This week I also fixed a broken solder point that wouldn't allow the drivers side window to roll up, and a broken switch (well the prongs that connect to the slider that makes the window roll up and down. prongs on the bottom of window switch look like the bottom of a tooth. one prong was broken. Both were solved with using a solder gun. (Thanks Ben and his shop "Elite". The solder point on the circuit board was not easily noticeable, but a simple touch of solder and the amp was rolling again.

Switch prong/teeth that activate circuit board on window switch

The switch prong that connects to the slider mounted on the window switch board was easily fixed, but no solder was used. I just slid the hot solder point up and down the prong; welding the plastic together (prong was almost broken in half). If plastic is to broken you can also melt that down and mix it in with other plastic pieces just like welding.

[img]S14 Door won\'t open Slimjimhj6[/img]
[img]S14 Door won\'t open Sta72944lw0[/img]
[img]S14 Door won\'t open Sl2fn5[/img]
[img]S14 Door won\'t open Sl3kn6[/img]
[img]S14 Door won\'t open Lockrl6[/img]
S14 Door won\'t open Unlockcs9

Click for reference
Click for manual

Last edited by reezn on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
reezn
reezn
TDS Spokesman
TDS Spokesman

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

S14 Door won\'t open Empty Re: S14 Door won\'t open

Post  S14Tan Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Fixed your pics for ya man. Cool
S14Tan
S14Tan
Grip Or Die
Grip Or Die

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-08-29

http://myspace.com/s14tan

Back to top Go down

Post  reezn Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 pm

Pics are acting wierd tonight?? Thanks!
reezn
reezn
TDS Spokesman
TDS Spokesman

Back to top Go down

Post  ritz Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:16 pm

yea cesar i passenger window button from my driver side broke off, you said you soldered that back on?
ritz
ritz
M/T Fail

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2008-09-15

http://www.myspace.com/r_i_t_z

Back to top Go down

Post  reezn Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm

ritz wrote:yea cesar i passenger window button from my driver side broke off, you said you soldered that back on?

Yes.
There are actual plastic welders, but a soldering iron works wonders. you can weld almost any plastic piece back together, it's always worth a try. I've seen people weld fenders, bumpers, headlights (the black plastic part), even motorcycle fairings. I've personally only weldeded my headlight, bumper and my sons toys. Hit me up, I'm sure I can fix that piece for you.
reezn
reezn
TDS Spokesman
TDS Spokesman

Back to top Go down

Post  ritz Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm

k you coming out to any of the meets or mineral wells?
ritz
ritz
M/T Fail

Number of posts : 997
Registration date : 2008-09-15

http://www.myspace.com/r_i_t_z

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: